Thursday, February 01, 2007

Run like a brick

And not a good triathlon brick - like a brick brick, which pretty much likes to just stay still.

So there were a bunch of reasons why I should have expected this:

1) It was 28 degrees outside.
2) I swam before I ran - so my hair was damp.
3) I didn't eat enough (one 60-calorie banana).
4) I didn't have my coffee!*
5) I haven't run in six weeks.
6) We planned a regular run - 6.2 miles.
7) I'm a little stuffed up and I have a little cough. It's not bad, but not great either.

But I'm still so glad I did it. The first day back has got to hurt, right? I believe in sport-specificity, so obviously I knew my running would suffer from not doing it for weeks. So I got the first day over with, and now I'm ready to get back to work.

Another thing I'm really glad about: my foot didn't hurt at all. Not even a teensy little bit.

Nancy and Sarah were awesome - they walked with me when I got a cramp (UGH! Did I forget everything about running?) and seemed to not mind too much that I had to go slower than usual. (A lot slower: We did the 6.2 miles in 1:14 - including stops for streetlights, but still, usually we're at 1:05 or so for that run.)

But I'm back! And I can only improve from here!

* About the coffee: I go to the same Starbucks drive-through every day, around the same time. I order the same thing: A tall Americano with whole milk and two Splenda. It's always too hot, so I don't drink it until I'm about a mile down the road. When I tasted it this morning, it tasted funny - so I pulled down the sleeve and read what the barista had written.

A for Americano. Good.
Whole for whole milk. Good.
8 SP for....EIGHT SPLENDA?????

How does two sound like eight? Especially since that kid that works the drive-through has sold me the very same drink dozens of times before!

So obviously I couldn't drink my coffee. But I'm going to bring the cup back tomorrow to complain. I think they should have at least repeated the order - especially since it's so absurd.

3 comments:

Wes said...

That much splenda might make you start to glow! Gross!

ItchyBits said...

I recently stopped using Splenda based on an article I read. I look at it like if 2 tsp of sugar can ruin my diet than I've got bigger problems. So I use Skim milk instead of whole and real sugar. 8 Splendas IS gross--although I ride with someone who puts 12 regular sugars in their Venti coffee -- 3's a time day.

Jessica said...

What was the article - do you have a link?

I'm so in love with Splenda, but if there's new research that says it's bad for me, I guess I want to know. Or was it that the 30 calories in two tsp of sugar really isn't that big of a deal?