Thursday, February 22, 2007

Sleeping in and circuit training

This morning my son had an event at his school - he had won the "Speech Meet" for his class by memorizing and reciting a poem in front of three judges, and his reward was performing in front of the entire school in their weekly assembly.

Obviously I had to be there - I have never felt so proud of him as I did when he told me he won* - so I planned to get up early, go to the gym near my house, then come back and shower and take him to school.

Well, the alarm went off at 5 a.m. and my body wasn't having any of it. So I rolled over and cuddled with my hubby. Then half an hour later, my little Boo came into our room and asked if she could cuddle too, so we had a little spoonfest while the boy slept.

* I am being totally honest here. When the kid told me he won, I was completely filled with pride in a way I haven't ever felt before - not when he's been a good person or nice friend or helpful son - and definitely more proud than when he has had athletic accomplishments. Apparently academic stuff induces more emotion in me than I would have thought.

So anyway, the boy did his thing and it was just wonderful to watch, then I headed to work. One of my meetings ended early so I decided to hit the circuit training class at noon at the Pro Club.

The class ROCKED. I got to get 30 minutes of interval running in interspersed with strength training. I burned 600 calories just in the hour - which tells you how hard I was working (I rarely burn that much per hour, even during races).

I'm feeling good. My weight was down today, I'm still sore from the powder skiing but working out made me feel much happier - and stronger!

2 comments:

Wes said...

Celebrating your kids accomplishments is the bomb! Academic or otherwise. It's that whole independence thing. Self accomplishment. It rocks. That cuddling thing is cool too. Kids are only small for so long, but hubby will be there all the time :-)

LoneStarCrank said...

Very cool deal for your son. Sounds like you made it all work today and I'm sure your body is happy you gave it a few extra minutes rest.

Keep at it!