Saturday, February 17, 2007

The perfect 10

No, not me. Oh my goodness, I'm totally feeling like the perfect 2 today, after a horrible brownie-dark chocolate-peanut butter binge last night (yeah, check it out on FitDay if you want. At least I logged the entire horrible truth).

But Danielle and I planned to wake up early and run the Lake Youngs Reservoir trail a couple of miles from our houses. It's 10 miles around, nearly 100% rolling hills, and beautiful and peaceful.

Plus, as I've blogged before, I have the life goal of always being able to run 10 miles at a time, and since I haven't run 10 together since the end of December, I had to do it just to make sure I could.

Well, I could. It was a gorgeous day and the trail was fairly dry - actually by now it's about 60 degrees outside (apologies to my freezing cold weather readers) and this morning was close to 50. We took it easy, let other groups of runners just pass us by, and chatted the entire time. In the end, we did it in about 1:50; we've done the trail in 1:30 before, and this might be an all-time low for us. But who cares - Danielle hasn't run more than three miles at a time since the last time we did 10 together (around Christmas, with Kathy) and I haven't run more than six. And we're base-training anyway right now, and there will be time for speedy runs around the trail soon enough.

So actually, it's not quite true that I feel that bad about myself. I do feel bad about my binge - it's just so illogical! - but I'm super happy that I really can just drop and run 10 miles any time. And I'm also really happy I have such a great trail and fabulous friends to run those 10 with!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Isn't that a great feeling! I remember during my marathon training, thinking "how weird is it that I now think 7 miles is an easy run?" haha! Way to go!

Wes said...

Running in zone 2 is guaranteed to burn more fat. You have lots of time to be speeedy :-)